After learning about the importance of next generation skills, it may be valuable to consider why those skills will be so critical in the future and why education today needs to include opportunities for students to build those skills in a universally designed education.
- Read this peer reviewed article, “Using Classroom Assessment to Promote 21st Century Learning in Emerging Market Countries”that highlights the research on six assessment strategies that should be part of a 21st century learning environment. This align to the UDL framework.
- For a graphic that sums up the 21st century skills, check out http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/docs/P21_framework_0816.pdf
- This is a great comprehensive site that really unpacks all the 21st century skills. http://www.p21.org/our-work/p21-framework
- The Critical 21st Century Skills Every Student Needs and Why Great comprehensive article on the skills.
Now, you may choose one or more resources to learn about the application of these skills for future success.
- Cool perspective on what it means to be a next-generation success story and the importance of “human only” skills. This is a principal’s perspective on “Preparation for the New World of Work”
- 20 Tips on Preparing Students for Employment- Starts with Goal-Setting which is the next generation skill.
- Social emotional learning will play a pivotal role in improving children’s chances of success in facing challenges of the 21st century Hint: It’s all about gaming!